Monday, February 28, 2011

Frugal Hair Care Tip

In a departure from my normal blogging of the kids' activities, I wanted to let others know something I'd been trying lately, with success. Instead of hair conditioner, I've been using diluted vinegar as a rinse after shampooing. Apparently the mild acidity closes the hair cuticles, minimizing tangles, and the vinegar also rinses out any residues (unlike regular conditioner which deposits them).

I've been using just shampoo and a vinegar rinse for about 3 months, and have been enjoying tangle-free, residue-free hair. It just takes a tablespoon of vinegar to about 1 cup of water, which you can then pour over your hair. I keep a squirt bottle of vinegar and an empty cup in the shower, and it is super easy. I have a gallon bottle of apple cider vinegar that I use to refill the squirt bottle, and the gallon will probably last me about 2 years! (The apple cider vinegar is a little less smelly than plain white vinegar, but either will work.)

And no, your hair won't smell like vinegar. It is also really good for rinsing after swimming in a pool--gets out the chlorine smell/feel and the tangles, without having to over-dry your hair by shampooing again.

2 comments:

Alberto said...

Not a bad solution, but I've got the best: if you're not bald, just shave your head.

p.s. Gideon is huge! I can't wait to see him again, and the others!

Eri Stanton said...

Have you used honey to wash your face?