Monday, January 12, 2009

Dangerous Art

Clover likes to draw and cut with scissors. But we are constantly having to repeat, "What do we draw on/cut?". She will gladly give us the right answer ("paper") and then turn right around and draw on her hands, the floor, the table. Thank goodness for washable markers.

Today was quite the day though. It started with her cutting the ends off of the ties on the quilt on our bed, and ended with her eating the tip of a marker (and I mean the whole end of the marker, not just a little nibble). It was a green marker and it looked like she was suddenly oozing bright green alien slime out of her mouth. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture as I was too busy wiping her tongue and teeth with a wet cloth. (Thank goodness it wasn't red or I might have had a bigger scare!) I hope they really mean it when they say "non-toxic."

I want to keep art materials accessible to the kids, and I don't want to discourage her from developing her drawing and cutting skills, but I'm not sure how many markers you can consume before it starts to become dangerous...

2 comments:

rachel y alb said...

I think the limit is 25. But you can find another solution for her hunger: tell her to draw food and then eat the paper, more tasty and with more proteins...
p.s. I hope that you don´t mind that I put a picture of her (with the purple dress that you made) in my computer screen at work. Everyone says she is ADORABLE!!

Kansas Mom said...

Well, I don't think the kids have eaten any of our markers...but I don't really watch them that closely around them. Perhaps I should.

I do keep the markers in a plastic box they can't open without our help so I know they have them out...if I remember to close it up in the first place.

We made First Daughter clean a cupboard she drew on and haven't had too much trouble since, though I tend to just let it slide when she colors on herself or her clothes.